PETA wants Turkey to change its name-People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have asked the people of Turkey, Texas to change the name of their town to "Tofurky" on Thanksgiving.

PETA sent a letter to Mayor Pat Carson on Monday, offering to provide "a vegan feast" for the whole town if they agreed to make the switch.



Most of the citizens of Turkey had never tried the bean curd based alternative, so NBC affiliate KCBD sent a camera crew with a plate of samples and captured reactions from the town.

Here's a little of what they said:

"To change the name because of PETA - the name's not hurting anything."

"I've eaten tofu. I'm not a fan."

"This is more or less a beef and potato place."

"It's a proud little town. I wouldn't see them changing their name for a day."

"There's bigger problems in the world to worry about than what a town's name is."

"Turkey is ag-based. We've always been meat eaters."

"I think I like the real turkey better."

"I think I'll stick to beef."

"They can cook tofu on down the road as far as I'm concerned."

"They've got their own right but don't mess with Turkey."

The Mayor of Turkey, Texas was not available for comment on Tuesday, but the people have spoken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment